Monday, March 23, 2009

So you were wondering….





Who’s the sponsor of this extreme event? Bhpbilliton, resourcing the future, a diamond company (bhpbilliton.com) which produced the first diamond mine in Canada. The mine is located 300 miles from YellowKnife and is air only accessible for their employees which numbers 600 – 700 per day. Their work force is made up of approximately 67% northerners and 39% from the aboriginal community. What a perfect sponsor for this Yellowknife based event. They have also signed on for the 2010 race so start training on your cross country skis, snowshoes or running shoes!

How do you move all those orange tents and the gear belonging to the athletes? Well, you do what they call a sling load. You get a giant cargo net, load all the gear bags in the middle of the net and call in a helicopter to fly the “sling load” to the next stage camp. I was very impressed to watch this high level of co-ordination.

So Harold what do you do with your spare time? Well today was the first time the cats were allowed to play so I did something I absolutely wanted to do prior to arriving. I became an ice highway runner because I don’t know how to drive an eighteen wheeler which means I could never call myself an ice highway trucker like the specialty channel show that was filmed in Yellowknife that people from all over the world know about.

1 comment: